I Made It!
It’s been a year since I retired and I wanted to acknowledge this important milestone.
As I was readying to depart my last employer, I was asked often by management what I planned to do once I’d retired.
First of all, I didn’t have an enormous amount of respect for most of my management there…there were some exceptions…so I didn’t really care to discuss how my personal life would play out in the upcoming months. But I also didn’t want to lie.
So I told most of them (even the ones for whom I did have respect and admiration) that my one goal in retirement was to not die in the first year. Because if I had spent all these years working hard and saving toward retirement, I would have been really pissed if I didn’t get at least a full year of retirement.
Just some other updates…originally I had anticipated doing the following once I retired:
- Adding a little more sleep to my schedule
- Expanding my workout time at the gym three times a week
- Adding yoga to my schedule of activities
- Enjoying my deck and espresso machine
- Enjoying the area where I live by walking and biking more
- On the rare occasion when I can’t seem to fall asleep, it used to be that I’d worry for an hour or so about how tired I’d be at work the following day. Now, I just enjoy the peacefulness of the night, or the comfort and warmth of my bed and usually fall asleep much more quickly. Worry-free sleeping is truly wonderful.
- I realized I had never really fully enjoyed a vacation until after I retired. I went to Cancun last year in November, shortly after I had retired. Halfway through the vacation, I had a short panicky moment when I thought, “Oh shit, I only have a few more days of vacation left.” Then I realized that I had a lifetime of vacation left, and went back to enjoying the best vacation I had ever taken.
Blog Contest Winner!
My favorite design in the Blog Contest listing of patterns from Modern Tapestry Crochet was the Provisions Tote Bag.
Two people guessed correctly IdigoB and Penny (others had it as their second choice as well). IndigoB asked for the book to go to someone else, so Penny has been notified that she won the book.
Thanks to all who entered…we’ll be having another book give-away shortly.