It’s been a while since I’ve been in my local yarn store (LYS), and I didn’t realize how much I missed it until I went back there last week.
Benefits of Local
Twist Knitting & Spinning in Lahaska, PA is my LYS and here are some of the benefits I remembered when I went back after probably a year or more absence:
- Their yarn assortment goes from common to exotic (from Cascade to higher-end luxury yarns like Shibui and Manos…including some beautiful local yarns)
- Swatches showing how the yarn knits up are plentiful as are the ideas for projects using the yarn
- There is enough activity in the shop to have yarn inventory that is turning over regularly
- They have an extensive assortment of needles in many different brands
- Sales staff (or the owner, Deb) will suggest items they know I’ll like
- They let me know about local events in which I might be interested
- They work with yarn reps that I know and take my suggestions to heart for new products
Overall, I find supporting my local yarn store can be incredibly satisfying…here are some of my latest purchases:
The first yarn was on clearance and the rest was at a 20% storewide sale day, so I saved a LOT of money.
Working non-stop on the Ombre Garter Shawl in two different colorways, I still have a long way to go before I sleep.
Based on all the work I put into this one, I’m not sure I’ll be able to price it for as much as it should cost, but I am loving how it’s coming out.