Third Time’s a Charm
After getting my old bitch (the antique Gearhart Circular Sock Knitting Machine) to spit out an almost completed sock, I figured a second one would be easy.
No, of course not. I tried casting on a second sock using the same blue yarn as the first almost-sock. I went through all the same actions:
- Cast on waste yarn
- Loaded the first row of sock yarn
- Added ribbing needles
- Cranked out 34 rounds of 1×1 ribbing
- Moved half of the ribbing stitches to cylinder stitches
- Cranked out 43 rounds of 3×1 ribbing
- Disengaged the cylinder needles on the back half of the cylinder
- Parked the ribbing needles
- Removed the ribber plate
- FU%K!! – the first heel row dropped a couple of stitches and missed a shitload more
- Unraveled all the work and lost all interest in trying again!
Second attempt, I finished up until the fifth bullet point and then jammed the yarn in the ribber plate mechanism (FU%K again!). Lost any interest in trying again for another full day.
Finally on the third attempt, it went shockingly smoothly! I was able to finish the entire sock (including a machine turned toe in contrasting color yarn.
The manual toe is slightly different than the machine-turned toe. I was thinking that if I was going to have to hand-knit the toe on two socks, I might as well use a technique I like and that can’t be done on the machine. But I honestly don’t care much about the small difference…I love my new pair of socks.
In addition to hand-finishing the toe on the first sock and machine-cranking and grafting the toe on the second sock, I also broke my Briyoke.
After getting up to about 12 inches on the body of the sweater, I noticed about 10 rows back there were three columns of stitches that I somehow screwed up. I tried dropping a column of stitches to see if I could recover without ripping back…turned into kind of a disaster.
After a few hours of ripping back and multiple rows, I was finally able to recover and start to re-grow the body of the sweater.
You can see I lost about three inches of knitting, but I couldn’t have lived with the errors, despite the fact that no one probably would have noticed.