There are complexities in everyday items that I would never notice until I had to replace them. Who would have imagined all the thought that went into a tiny, little part?
I mentioned in an earlier blog that I made the mistake of comparing my two spinning wheels. Stupidly, I said that both wheel were very similar. To the designer of the far superior spinning wheel.
Here was one simple component of the wheel. A component that holds WAY more complexity than I would have ever thought.
I have a Louët S75 spinning wheel and my Robin Wheel. Both are castle-style wheels with the same type of tensioning.
Both wheels use the exact same orifice. I know they look different in the photos. That’s only because the Louët wheel on the right is taller and the orifice was closer to the camera when I took the photo.
The top of the maiden (the post that holds the flyer and bobbin) is where the big difference is.
The Louët on the right is capped with a metal bearing. The Robin is shaped wood. Turns out that the simple wood cradle is much better than the metal cap. The shaping on the Robin is end-grain on very hard wood. Making it very smooth and very durable. A perfect vehicle for supporting a spinning flier/orifice.
Now the part I had to replace has similarly unexpected complexities.
The piece on the left is the original part (the one that didn’t break). It’s a 1/4″ diameter piece of vinyl splining. It connects the rocker arm to the treadle pedal.
Thaddeus decided to buy 1/4″ vinyl tubing to replace the cylindrical vinyl splining. This tiny, seemingly insignificant piece had to have at least these characteristics:
- No more than 1/4″ diameter to fit into the rocker arm and the drilled hole in the treadle pedal
- Not stretch with both up and down pressure applied lengthwise whilst treading
- Be very durable and not break or tear even with a small nail going through it.
- Exhibit flexibility to move and flex between the pedal and rocker arm movements
- Be easy to cut and size so the section between pedal and rocker arm is the ideal length (1/2″ in this case)
All I can say is that is appears the new fix is even slightly better than the original part. It seems to treadle more smoothly. We’ll report on durability if anything happens.
I put the new fix to the test on my Robin Wheel.
I didn’t get a ton of new singles spun based on the time the wheel was out of service. But I’ll keep adding on gradually.
I also finished the Black and Blue Garter Stole.
I turned out spectacularly well for such a boring little project.
It ended up being 11 inches wide and 84 inches long. It’s warm, and drapey and very rich feeling and looking. I couldn’t be more pleased with it.
2 comments on “Simply Complex”
It’s so often a boring knit becomes the perfect nicest garment. Oh well, it gives us a chance to watch a great tv program without guilt!
Love the Black and Blue! Silly simple, but a significant visual impact!