Ghosts of QueerJoe Past
Any long-time readers out there who remember back to 2005 when I decided to knit my niece a Communion Shawl?
I recall now what a shitty pattern writer I was!
I was both careless and over-confident enough to not have my patterns test-knit. Bad combination.
That shit comes back to bite you. My over-confidence convinced me I should publish the pattern out on Ravelry and make a little money for my efforts. So, I did. Publish the pattern, that is…not make money. I hardly sold any of those patterns. Which is probably a good thing, since someone recently purchased the pattern, looking to complete a lacy wrap for someone about to receive First Communion in 3 weeks.
The first row, she can’t get the numbers to work. The very first row.
Do I remember ANYTHING about this pattern? Uh, no. So I go back to re-create the stitch pattern and retro-test-knit the garment.
There are a lot of designers who get snooty when knitters find mistakes in their patterns. I am not one of them. If someone has a problem with one of my patterns, it is usually because there is either a mistake (or two) or because I wasn’t clear in the instructions. Sometimes, it is user error, but not usually with my patterns.
Suffice it to say, I found two mistakes in the Communion Shawl pattern and corrected them both. To try and compensate for having a customer proofread my pattern, I issued a refund.
I will say that my pattern-writing skills have improved a LOT in 14 years. To avoid ghosts of future-pasts coming to haunt me again, I think I’ll go review my older patterns. Just to check.
I’m down to three active projects. The Tilt Cardigan, the Biased Striped Stole and the Tommy’s Preferred Blend spinning project. Yes, I finished another pair of cranked socks yesterday.
These socks have a very dense fabric. The yarn was a bit too large for my machine, but I made it work. I did end up making a few mistakes (dropped stitches, slipped stitches). But even correcting the 2 or 3 mistakes and kitchnering the toe, it still only took me a few days for a beautiful pair of socks.
The only other project I worked on since Wednesday is the Biased Striped Stole.
Only one reader weighed in, but I had already decided to go with the yellow.
The accent color is really more squash than mustard, but I think it will look nice when it’s finished. It uses quite a bit more of the squash later on in the design, but I had to decide on the color for this one lonely stripe now.