A Very Long Swatch
I know, I know…I rage against swatching, and then I create a very long swatch. But it didn’t start out as a swatch.
The Shawl That Became A Very Long Swatch
I started a new design. Initially, I was calling it the Warped Wrap. But there are too many other shawls on Ravelry with the same or similar names. So I think I’ll go with Liquified Wrap.
With much enthusiasm for this new design idea, I cast on 511 stitches and began the new wrap. Very quickly, I realized I had made a few errors that would require me to rip it all out. Number of stitches, centering of the “liquification” section. Starting the shaping on the wrong row. So, this shawl now became a swatch.
Checking gauge, I realized I didn’t need quite so many stitches.
I think I drop down to 430 for my next
swatch…er…shawl. I also thought I’d prefer a looser fabric.
So I think I will go up one size in needles.
But I like the color combination of the two yarns. The shaping concept seems to work as I expected.
It only took a few hours to make this swatch.
And a few minutes to unravel it back into yarn balls. So I can re-start the shawl with all my new-found knowledge and experience.
I did end up casting on 430 stitches and working a few more rows than the original attempt.
The close-up photo might not look great, but when it’s full-scale, I think the colors will blend on both the front and the back in a nice, subtle way. I’m even pleased with how the shaping section is looking.
I know it’s not much, but my failed, first attempt was a very useful lesson. We’ll see if it works out in a few days!